When the Nicasio Land Owners Association, Inc. (NLOA) was founded in 1961, it stated the following key goals in its Articles of Incorporation:
- To aid in the preservation of the beauty of the Nicasio area
- To study the possible future development and planning of the Nicasio area so as to take advantage of the natural beauty and topography of the area,
- To assist so that the Nicasio area may develop in a pleasing, well planned and orderly manner
- While recognizing that the development of the Nicasio area is inevitable and while not desiring to impede progress, to aid so that the future development is accomplished in a manner that will enhance the value of the community and preserve as much as possible its natural beauty.
Still guided by these objectives, the NLOA uses specific tools in order to evolve with the changing needs of both our local area and Western Marin County. The NLOA:
- Provides a voice on County policy initiatives and the development proposals that affect the Nicasio area.
- The NLOA created “Development and Design Guidelines for the Nicasio Valley Planning Area.” These Guidelines were then adopted by Marin County in 1997 as the standards by which the county is to evaluate development applications in our community.
- In order to have a consistent, knowledgeable interface between the community and the county planning staff, the NLOA created the Nicasio Design Review Board. Design Review Board volunteers evaluate the conformance of development applications using the Design Guidelines, and provide the county with a local interpretation of whether a project meets the standards set out by the community.
Today, the NLOA is continues its work in many areas. Currently, there are committees dedicated to the following tasks, including but not limited to:
- NICASIO DESIGN REVIEW BOARD
- BROADBAND PROJECT: A committee formed to establish demand and solutions for high-speed internet.
- NICASIO SQUARE: The use and maintenance of the Nicasio Square
The NLOA manages the Nicasio Filming Policy, to insure that groups drawn to Nicasio’s beauty for advertising and theatrical productions do not disrupt the flow of the community, and to reimburse the community for the use of the Square.
- WATER: Establishing short and long term solutions for residential water sources and shared tools/systems/partnerships in times of drought
- CLEAN-UP DAY: The NLOA sponsors annual community clean up day. See Community Calendar for this year's date.
- NICASIO.NET: Maintaining and overseeing the town website
- The NLOA coordinates closely with county agencies regarding land-use and planning issues that could affect the valley. This includes the recent placement of signs at the square limiting parking on weekends to insure that residents could retain access.
The NLOA is a membership organization, with policy making made by all dues paying landowners in Nicasio. It holds its annual meeting in the spring of each year, where it elects its Board of Directors. The Board meets quarterly to discuss issues and projects affecting the community.
Board of Directors
Download the NLOA Bylaws (reflecting the change to Article II, paragraph B, that was voted on and approved at 2017 annual meeting)
Download the NLOA's Position Paper on Commercial Slaughter (February 1, 2017)
The current oard members are:
- Stephen Lewis, President
- Guy Phillips, Vice President
- William Joost, Treasurer
- Thomas Wood, Secretary
- Caroline Bolthouse
- Rick Lafranchi
- Stan Loar
- Leanne Wolfson
The Board members can be reached at NicasioLandOwnersAssociation@gmail.com
Nicasio thanks the following people who gave their valuable time on the morning of May 12 to make Nicasio's roads litter-free and more beautiful than ever! And many thanks to Rocky Shone for organizing and overseeing the process in addition to picking up litter himself:
Michael and Patti McDonnell
Bill and Carol Perez
Johnny and Michele Rutledge
Apologies to those who did not come to the Corporation Yard or sign-up but were nevertheless out picking up litter! THANKS TO ALL!!!
May 30, 2018: Download Agenda
For more information on the upcoming meetings you may email NicasioLandOwnersAssociation@gmail.com
January 11, 2018: Download Minutes
May 15, 2017: Minutes coming soon
Annual Meeting: May 4, 2017: Download Minutes
February 28, 2017: Download Minutes
April 14, 2017 (Conference Call): Download Minutes
December 13, 2017 SPECIAL BROADBAND MEETING:
This special meeting was held: (1) to discuss the conditions for the release of funds, totaling $1,109,000.00 (and not including accrued interest) to the Inyo Company/Nicasio Broadband Network LLC by the NLOA, in its capacity as Agent for prepaying customers as set forth in the Master Services Agreement, and (2) to vote on the release of said funds.
Pay Annual Dues/ Make a contribution
Only members who are current in their payment of annual dues ($70) are allowed to vote at the Annual Meeting. In order to pay dues you may click on the "contribute" button below to be redirected to paypal. Or, you may send your check, made payable to the:
Nicasio Land Preserve
PO Box 532
Nicasio, CA 94946
THE NICASIO LAND PRESERVE IS A 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, IRS TAX ID # 71-0919132
Nicasio Land Owners Association/Nicasio Land Preserve Boards' Communication to National Park Service re: Point Reyes National Seashore General Management Plan Amendment
(click on above title to read submission)
The Board considered all timely-submitted objections in framing its submission to the Park Service.
posted: November 15, 2017
Keep me posted:
* If prompted, it is simplest to "log in as a guest". this will immediately take you to a form where you can enter your contact information for inclusion in the community database.